In 2014 Wasatch Front Waste and Recycling District launched the new green waste collection program. Over 1,700 customers subscribed to the program, diverting nearly 2 million pounds of green waste from the landfill. This would not have been possible without the support from customers like you!
As spring approaches, the weekly curbside collection of green waste will resume. We will begin collection on March 16th. Subscribers will be able to put yard and lawn trimmings, fruit and vegetable scraps, and leaves in a specially designed 95 gallon vented green waste can. See our website for a full list of accepted materials.
You can subscribe by sending an email to email@example.com with your name, address, phone and email; or by calling Jeffrey Summerhays, Sustainability Coordinator at 385-468-6337. We will call you to confirm the request of a green bin and to take payment for the start-up fee.
The green waste program is by subscription only. The annual fee is $114. It is not part of the regular service package covered by your $177 sanitation fee. The services we offer, including the green waste program, are not subsidized with tax dollars. New green waste bins are also charged with a $60 one-time, nonrefundable start up fee. This is the direct cost of manufacturing the bin.
• Green waste includes all UNBAGGED lawn and yard trimmings (grass clippings, branches, leaves, and garden waste), fruit and vegetable scraps, eggshells, coffee grounds, and tea bags. NO food, oils, fats, grease, paper, or plastic bags.
• You can subscribe over the phone, in person, or on our website at wasatchfrontwaste.org. See below for our address and contact information.
• Refer to our website, wasatchfrontwaste.org or call 385-468-6337 for more information.
• By diverting green waste from the landfill, you will extend the life of the landfill and minimize the external negative effects.
• Green waste collection also helps to conserve natural resources. Mulch is produced from green waste compost at both the Salt Lake County Landfill and Trans-Jordan Landfill. Mulch is available, at both locations, to the public for purchase.